Fueling for my long run with this bowl of banana cacao oats this morning. There is something so satisfying about a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. It is so cozy and satisfying and the warm meal gets me ready for the day. This Banana & Chocolate Oatmeal bowl is a chocolate twist on your favorite bowl of oatmeal. Recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. It is also contains healthy fats and fiber to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
This recipe uses cacao powder to give the oats a chocolately flavor. You read that right, cacao powder, not cocoa. Cacao and cocao are not the same. They come from the same place, however, cacao is less processed and is full of minerals and antioxidants. It does taste bitter by itself so the maple syrup is used to balance out the bitter flavor and give it a sweet, chocolately taste.
Flax or chia seeds add both fat and fiber to the oats. This keeps you helps make you feel full and satisfied. These oats are also topped sunflower seed or almond butter. I was super skeptical about adding nut butter to my oats at first, but let me tell you, it not only tastes delicious, but provides the perfect about of healthy fats to make the oatmeal bowl soo satisfying!
Bananas are my go-to fruit. 1) They are relatively cheap in comparison to other fruits. 2) They are soo versatile! Frozen bananas make smoothies taste like ice cream. Bananas in oatmeal literally melt into the bowl and add the perfect amount of sweetness! They are easily my favorite fruit to have in smoothies or oatmeal bowls.
If you’re looking for more oatmeal recipes, checkout my Banana Cinnamon Oatmeal bowl.
Ingredients in Banana Chocolate Oatmeal:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp flax seeds or chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop of nut or seed butter
- Small handful of cacao nibs
How to Make Banana Chocolate Oatmeal:
- Place the oats, almond milk, flax seeds or chia seeds, collagen (optional), cinnamon, cacao powder, banana, and maple syrup in a pan and cook on medium heat while mixing the oats for a few minutes or until the oatmeal has formed. Alternatively, you can place this in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with nut or seed butter, and cacao nibs.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, please comment and let me know if you give it a try! Or tag me if you make them on instagram @wellbymel_!
Banana Chocolate Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1 cups Almond Milk
- 1-2 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 tsp Flaxseeds or Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Banana ripe
- 1 scoop Nut or Seed Butter
- handful Cacao Nibs topping
- Place the oats, almond milk, flax seeds or chia seeds, collagen (optional), cinnamon, cacao powder, banana, and maple syrup in a pot and cook on medium heat while mixing the oats for a few minutes or until the oatmeal has formed. Alternatively, you can place this in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with nut or seed butter and cacao nibs.