This Fall Harvest salad is made with seasonal Fall produce. It makes the perfect side dish for a holiday party or a nutritious meal to eat for lunch or dinner. This salad is balanced with protein, fat, and seasonal Fall fruits and veggies. This combination makes a meal that is rich in nutrients and will also help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
If you’re looking for more Fall salad recipes, be sure to take a look at my Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe.
What You’ll Need to Make Fall Harvest Salad:
Vegetables: The vegetables in this recipe are butternut squash, kale, and shaved brussel sprouts. You can use a 10oz bag of shaved brussel sprouts, or buy whole brussel sprouts and thinly slice them. You can substitute the butternut squash with sweet potato if you prefer.
Fruit: The fruit in this recipe is apple slices and dried tart cherries. I used a honey crisp apple in this recipe, but you can use any kind of apple that you like. The dried tart cherries add a touch of tart and sweetness to this salad.
Protein: Roasted chicken breast is the source of protein in this recipe.
Avocado Oil: You will need a little bit of avocado oil to roast the butternut squash and shaved brussel sprouts. I like using avocado oil for high temperature cooking because it has a high smoke point; however, you can substitute with another cooking oil.
Salad Dressing: You can use store-bought honey mustard dressing, or make your own using honey, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. See my recipe for the salad dressing below.
Spices: Add salt and pepper when roasting the butternut squash and shaved brussel sprouts according to your taste preferences.
Pecans: Pecans add a nice crunch and healthy fat to this recipe.
Goat Cheese: This salad is topped with goat cheese to add some creaminess and flavor.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, please comment and let me know if you give it a try! Or tag me if you make them on instagram @wellbymel_!
Fall Harvest Salad
- 2 1/2 cups Butternut Squash cubed
- 10 oz Shaved Brussel Sprouts
- 3 cups Shredded Kale
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple small
- 1/4 cup Dried Tart Cherries
- 1/4 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil
- Salt, Pepper to taste
- 6 oz Roasted Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Microwave butternut squash for about 5 minutes to soften. Once cooled, peel the butternut squash and cut into small cubes.
- Season the cubed butternut squash with 1 tsp avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Season the shaved brussel sprouts with 1 tsp avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- To make the salad dressing, mix 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and 2 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl.
- Add 3 cups of shaved kale to a large bowl. Make sure to remove the stems. Add half of the salad dressing mixture to the bowl and massage the kale for a couple of minutes in the dressing.
- Once cooled, add the roasted shaved brussel sprouts and 2 1/2 cups of the roasted butternut squash to the bowl.
- Cut an apple into slices and slice the roasted chicken breast into cubes. Add the apple slices and chicken breast cubes to the salad.
- Add the pecans, dried tart cherries, and the rest of the salad dressing to the bowl. Mix the salad to evenly distribute the dressing.
- Top with goat cheese crumbles and serve.