I have another pantry staple recipe for you this week, using chickpeas. If you missed my post last week, I posted a variety of Pantry Staple Recipes using popular pantry staple items.
I’ve seen a lot of sweet chickpea recipes- anything from chickpea cookies to chickpea blondies. I decided to put my can of chickpeas to use and make a sweet dessert! This chickpea cookie dough is made with 6 simple ingredients and is gluten free and vegan. The best part is it can be made in 5 minutes or less!
If you prefer baked cookies over cookie dough, you can also bake them into cookies – just add 1/2 tsp of baking soda. The batter will be sticky so refrigerate it for about 30 minutes to help it form. Roll the cookie dough into balls and bake for ~15 minutes at 350 degrees.
1 16oz can chickpeas
1/4 cup natural, unsweetened almond butter (can sub peanut butter)
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
salt to taste
- Remove the chickpeas from can and rinse thoroughly. If the chickpeas still have a strong taste after rinsing, consider boiling them for a few minutes and re-straining. Set aside to dry.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Place in a bowl. I like to place it in the fridge for about 20 minutes to allow to cool before eating. Store leftovers in fridge.
- If you want to bake them into cookies, add 1/2 tsp baking soda. Don’t forget to let the batter to sit in the fridge as it will be sticky and need to set. Roll batter into cookies and bake at 350 deg for 15 mins. Store leftovers in fridge.