I have been making these lentil meatballs for years and it is hands down one of my favorite recipes. It is a plant-based take on a comfort food. They make the perfect cozy recipe, but are loaded with veggies and legumes. I like topping the lentil meatballs over spaghetti squash or some zucchini zoodles with nutritional yeast.
This recipe is made with all real food ingredients and is both gluten free and vegan. It makes about 3 servings of lentil meatballs.
- 3/4 cup green lentils (dried)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (unsalted)
- handful of fresh parsley
- Himalayan sea salt
- ground pepper
- avocado oil
1. Put lentils in a pot of boiling water cook per instructions on packaging. Once cooked, place lentils in strainer and allow to cool and dry.
2. Cut onion and carrot- I like to cut the carrot into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Saute in a frying pan with avocado oil, Himalayan sea salt, and ground pepper until soft. Add garlic and allow to cook for about 30 seconds. Place pan aside to cool.
3. Set oven to 400 deg.
4. Once cooled, place lentils, onion, carrots, and garlic into blender or food processor. Add a handful of fresh parsley, 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. If the mixture is dry and not blending easily, add a couple of tablespoons of filtered water to help blend. Once the mixture is smooth, add pumpkin seeds and pulse to chop and mix the seeds, but not fully blend.
5. Coat a baking dish with avocado oil or line with parchment paper.
6. Form the mixture into balls and place on baking dish.
7. Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 30-40mins depending on the size of the lentil meatballs.
Enjoy! I like to top the lentil meatballs over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.