Caramelized apples are one of my favorite healthy treats. By caramelized apples, I mean apple slices that are sautéed in cinnamon and coconut oil. They get so fragrant and taste incredible! Apple Cinnamon is one of my all time favorite combos.
I wanted to make a healthy apple cinnamon flavored breakfast recipe and came up with these scones. They are gluten free, vegan, and contain no added sugar. They are very easy to make and make the perfect breakfast on the go.
Unlike regular scone recipes, this recipe is made with all real food ingredients.
The “flour” used is gluten free oats and coconut flour.
The scones are naturally sweetened with 5 medoolan dates and an apple. I love sweetening desserts with medoolan dates because they taste naturally so sweet, but unlike regular sweeteners, also contain fiber. Note: the medoolan dates must be very ripe/soften in order to blend well.
Chia seeds are a superfood. They are a great source of fiber and fat. Both fiber and fat help make you feel satiated. I also love cooking with chia seeds because when combined with liquid (in this case almond milk and coconut oil), they form into a gel and help to bind everything together.
See the rest of the ingredients and full recipe details below!
1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tbsp chia seeds
5 ripe medoolan dates
2 medium apples (i used honey crisp)
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp baking soda
- Heat coconut oil until it is a liquid. Add 1/4 cup of coconut oil to a bowl. Add 2 tbsp chia seeds to the same bowl.
- Cut one of the apples into small slices.
- Place 1 1/2 cup oats, apple slices, and 5 (very soften) medoolan dates into a food processor. Pulse for a minute or two. Add 1/4 cup almond milk and blend the mixture for another minute. There should be no large pieces of dates or apples. If there are, continue to blend until the mixture is more consistent. Add the contents of the food processor to the bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup coconut flour, cinnamon (to taste), and another 1/4 cup of almond milk to the bowl. Mix until smooth.
- The batter should be thick. On a baking dish, form the batter into a circular shape, a little smaller than the size of a personal pizza. With a knife, make slits in the batter into 8 pieces. Do not separate. You will use these slits as a guideline to cut the cooked scones into 8 pieces once its cooked.
- Cook the scones in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 deg.
- While the scones are cooking, cut the second apple into slices.
- In a frying pan, sauteed the apple slices with 1 tbsp coconut oil and cinnamon (to taste). Sauteed until the apples soften and are fragrant.
- Remove the cooked scones from the oven and cut the scones along the slits into 8 pieces. Top the scones with the sauteed apple slices.