I have a few guy friends who have found a lot of success on the keto diet and were able to lose a decent amount of weight. I’m overall neutral when it comes to the keto diet. I’m not a proponent of the keto diet, or against it. I enjoy eating fruit (as you can see by my frequent smoothie bowl posts), so I don’t think it would be a sustainable or satisfying diet for me. However, after hearing friends’ success stories on the keto diet, I am now curious.
So what does this mean?
No, this is not turning into a keto blog. I am not going keto. However, I will be introducing keto recipes to my blog! So if you are a proponent of the keto diet, or the keto diet works well for you, be on the lookout for keto recipes on my blog, starting with this keto dessert recipe.
These Chocolate Almond Butter Bars are sugar free. They are sweetened with monk fruit sweetener. If you haven’t heard of monk fruit sweetener, it is a zero-calorie and sugar-free sweetener. It is more natural than artificial sugars. I personally like the taste alot more than stevia. I tried stevia once and hated it. To me, it has a terrible after taste. Monk fruit on the other hand, tastes sweet with no bad after taste! It is a bit sweeter than regular sugar so not as much needs to be added to recipes to sweeten.
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 tsp monkfruit sweetener
1/2 cup almond butter
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the coconut oil until it turns liquid. Mix the coconut oil with the monkfruit and cacao powder until fully mixed.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bread pan, spreading it evenly across the pan. Place the bread pan in the freezer for ~20 minutes to allow the chocolate layer to harden and form into a solid.
- Remove the bread pan from the freezer and spread the almond butter evenly across the chocolate layer. Allow to freeze for ~ 1 hour until the bars are fully formed into a solid.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and cut the bars into 6 even pieces.
- Enjoy the Chocolate Almond Butter bars! Store extras in the refrigerator.