Looking for a healthy fall recipe? A healthy recipe to bring to Friendsgiving or have as a Thanksgiving side dish? Or just a delicious plant-based meal for the Fall? This recipe is for you! This dish is a delicious way to tie in all of the fall flavors and is completely plant-based. It is the perfect mix of sweet and savory and contains healthy fats which keep you feeling full for longer. This recipe makes about 2 servings.
Fall often means apple season! I am a huge fan of carmelized apples. What are carmelized apples? Apple slices sauteed in coconut oil and cinnamon. The apples become warm and fragrant and taste sooo good. The apples add some sweet to this overall savory recipe. Check out my Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple Crumble recipe for more ideas of how to use carmelized apples.
Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
The fall veggies used are brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. I’m a huge fan of sweet potatoes! I love roasting sweet potatoes in avocado oil with salt and pepper. It is so simply delicious. Crispy brussel sprouts are also the best. I’ve recently been making brussel sprouts in my air fryer and they come out with the perfect amount of crispiness and cook so quickly! If you have an air fryer, I recommend cooking brussel sprouts in it.
This recipe calls for walnuts or pecans. Toasting them (in a frying pan) makes them perfectly fragrant and taste delicious!
1 bag of brussel sprouts (I got mine from Whole Foods)
1 large sweet potato
1 medium honey crisp apple
1/4 cup pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the outside of the sweet potato. Cut the sweet into cubes. Half the brussel sprouts and remove the stems. Place the sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts on a baking dish with ~2 tbsp of avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook the for ~35 minutes or until the potatoes are soft with crispy edges and the brussel sprouts are crispy. Alternatively, cook in the air fryer for ~20 mins.
3. Cut the honey crisp apple into slices. In a frying pan, saute the apple slices in 1 tbsp of coconut oil and cinnamon. Cook until the apple slices have softened and become fragrant.
4. Remove the apple slices from the pan and place off to the side. In the same pan, add the nuts and cook on low heat until the nuts begin to darken and appear “toasty.”
6. Combine the brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, apples, and nuts into a bowl and mix together. Place a portion of the vegetable hash on a plate and enjoy!