I love making no bake desserts, especially during the summer. These Mini Lemon Coconut Pies are the perfect little treats to have on hand and the lemon flavor is super refreshing.
These mini pies are a healthy alternative to normal desserts. They are made with clean ingredients and contain no dairy or refined sugar. They are are both gluten free and vegan.
These Mini Lemon Coconut Pies are made with only 5 ingredients. They are also really easy to make- all you need is a food processor or blender and a muffin pan.
There are two layers to these pies:
The pie crust is made with only 2 ingredients- dates and almonds. The dates must be fresh and not dried. The moisture of the fresh dates help the crust blend and stick to the almonds to form the crust layer. The almonds create a crunchy texture and taste that is like pie crust! Only this version is made with clean ingredients and is made with no added sugar as it is sweetened by dates.
Lemon Coconut Pie Filling:
The lemon coconut pie filling is made with the cream and liquid from canned coconut milk. The coconut milk must be full fat. Only full fat coconut milk will separate upon regeneration into the cream and liquid parts. The coconut milk is a healthy fat so not only will it satisfy your sweet tooth, but will also keep you feeling full and satisfied so you do not feel the need to overeat dessert. The filling contains a lemon to make the lemon flavor and a little maple syrup to sweeten.
3/4 cup almonds
1 cup medoolan dates
2 cans full fat coconut milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
- Place canned coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- To make the pie crust, place the almond and dates in a blender or food processor and blend until they stick together. How well they stick together depends on the softness of the dates. If they are not sticking together well add a couple tablespoons of water to the mixture and reblend.
- Scoop out the crust and distribute evenly into muffin baking sheet. Place the muffin baking sheet in the freezing while the filling is made.
- Clean out the blender or food processor and dry.
- To make the pie filling, scoop out the coconut cream from both cans of coconut milk into the blender or food processor. Add about 2 tbsp of the liquid coconut milk to the blender or food processor. You can either discard or save the coconut milk left in the can. I personally like to save it to reuse in smoothies. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the blender or food processor and add the maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Remove the muffin baking sheet from the freezing and add the pie filling on top of the crust. Place in the muffin baking sheet back in the freezer for about 30 minutes to allow the filling to set. Enjoy!