Are you a sweet potato or a regular potato person? I personally love sweet potatoes! You can make them savory, you can make them sweet – they are such a delicious add to meals! My favorite type of pasta is gnocchi but I don’t eat regular gnocchi too often because I generally avoid gluten. I’ve found cauliflower gnocchi to be a great substitute but I personally like making foods from scratch as often as possible in order to control what ingredients and how much of each ingredient are put into my food.
I’ve made this sweet potato gnocchi a few times now and it is great! It’s a lot easier to make than you would think. This recipe is gluten free – it uses cassava flour as the flour. If you haven’t heard of cassava flour it is a root vegetable and a staple in my kitchen. This recipe is also dairy free and vegan. It makes about 2 servings. See details below!
Note: You will need a potato ricer for this recipe.
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cassava flour
3 tbsp Avocado oil
1. Cut a slit into each sweet potato. Heat sweet potatoes in the microwave for ~5 minutes or until softened. Remove sweet potatoes from the microwave and set aside to cool.
2. Once cooled, remove the skin from the sweet potatoes. Push sweet potato through a potato ricer into a clean bowl.
3. Add 1/4 cup cassava flour, 1 tbsp avocado oil, salt, and pepper to bowl. Mix throughly with hands until a dough begins to form. Cut the mixture into 4 parts.
4. On a cutting board, spread 2 tbsp cassava flour. Place 1 part of the mixture into the cutting board and roll into a coil. Once ~1/4 inch thick, cut the coil into gnocchi pieces. Repeat this for the other 3 parts.
5. Add gnocchi to a pot of boiling water. Gnocchi are done once they float to the surface.