I love veggie burgers. They are so delicious and versatile. You can eat them on a bun with some sweet potato fries or throw them into a salad bowl. What I don’t like about most veggie burgers is that the are typically highly processed, containing several preservatives, and packed with gluten. This recipe makes veggies burgers healthy, delicious, and exactly what they should be – made of veggies!
These Sweet Potato Black Bean burgers are more of a Mexican twist on veggie burgers. You can pair them with guacamole, hot sauce, or even bbq sauce. The flavor combination is a little bit spicy and delicious! These veggie burgers are made with primarily veggies and use gluten free oats to help them bind and stick together. The only other ingredient is spices! These veggie burgers are both gluten free and vegan. This recipe makes about 6 veggie patties.
For this recipe, I recommend using a food processor or blender with vertical blades. The veggies burger ingredients will not blend as well in a Vitamix blender, which only contains blades at the bottom.
- 1 16oz can black beans
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- Chipotle powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper to taste
1. Slice a hole in the sweet potato and heat in the microwave for ~ 5 minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool.
2. Place black beans in a strainer and rinse thoroughly. Set to the side to dry.
3. Slice the red bell pepper into smaller pieces.
4. Place 3 tbsp water and chia seeds in a bowl off to the side. The chia seeds will gelatinize, forming a “chia egg.”
5. Once the sweet potato is cooled, add all ingredients except for the rolled oats and “chia egg” to a food processor. Pulse mixture for several seconds to mix. You will need to scrap the sides of the food processor several times throughout the process. Blend until the ingredients have mixed together, but it is not completely homogeneous. You want the mixture to be somewhat clumpy to help it form into patties.
6. Add the 1/4 cup rolled oats to the food processor. Pulse for a few seconds to disperse the oats throughout the mixture, but not fully blend.
7. Place the contents of the food processor into a bowl. Add the chia egg and the remaining 1/4 cup rolled oats. Mix the contents of the bowl. Form the mixture into veggie patties (it will make ~6).
8. Cook veggie burgers on a baking dish over parchment paper at 375 degrees for ~20 minutes.