Have you ever cooked jackfruit before? Have you ever heard of jackfruit before?
I had only recently heard of jackfruit. I made it for lunch for the first time roasted in bbq sauce and it was so good, I felt the need to spread the news! Jackfruit, as the name implies is a fruit. However, if you chop it up and roast it in BBQ sauce, it actually tastes like pulled meat! It also resembles pulled meat. BBQ Jackfruit is so easy to make and is the perfect add to tacos, taco bowls, or to any bbq!
BBQ Jackfruit is the perfect compliment to any plant based recipe. I love that this meat alternative, is simply a fruit! So many meat alternatives are highly processed, high in sodium, and just don’t seem great for you! I love that jackfruit is completely natural and only 1 ingredient! I am a firm believer in eating real food so bbq jackfruit is a food that I can easily get on board with!
For this recipe, I used canned jackfruit that I found at Trader Joes. I put added the bbq jackfruit to a taco bowl to create a healthy and delicious, plant based Mexican meal.
- 1 can jackfruit
- 3 tbsp gluten- free bbq sauce
- 1 cup frozen rice cauliflower
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced white onion
- 5 grape tomatoes
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove jackfruit from can and chop into cubes. Place the cubed jackfruit on parchment paper on a baking dish and add bbq sauce. Roast in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Cut red bell pepper into slices. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the pepper slices have softened.
- While the jackfruit and red pepper slices are cooking, make the guacamole. Scoop 1/2 avocado into a bowl. Add a handful of sliced onion. Put 1 clove of garlic through a garlic press and add to the bowl. Mash the avocado and mix. Add a handful of cilantro, a squeeze of juice from a lime, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a frying pan, heat the frozen rice cauliflower until it is completely thawed. Add the riced cauliflower to a bowl.
- Remove the red bell pepper slices from the oven. In a frying pan, saute the pepper slices with the sliced onion in avocado oil until the onion begins to cook. Add bell pepper and onion to the bowl with the riced cauliflower.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven and mash the jackfruit with a fork. Mix the BBQ sauce so that it is evenly coated on all of the jackfruit. The jackfruit should break apart easily and start to resemble pulled meat. Add the bbq jackfruit to the bowl.
- Cut the grape tomatoes in half and add to the bowl. Add the guacamole to the bowl and a handful of cilantro.