I had this lentil bolognese on spaghetti squash for dinner last night. I’m definitely on a kick with all of the fall seasonal foods, but especially spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is so easy to make and I love subbing it for traditional pasta. I like topping my spaghetti squash with this lentil bolognese sauce. It tastes delicious and makes the perfect healthy comfort food!
This is gluten free, dairy free, added sugar free, and vegan/vegetarian.
- 1/2 cup dried lentils or 1 cup canned lentils
- 1 large carrot
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- fresh or dried basil
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Avocado oil
- 1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat spaghetti squash in the microwave for 5 mins to soften. After 5 mins, remove the spaghetti squash from the microwave and allow to cool. When cool, cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise and remove and discard seeds.
3. Place spaghetti squash in on a baking dish for 45-60 mins or until it has softened and you can remove the “spaghetti” with a fork.
4. Once finished, remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and allow to cool.
5. Peel the outside of the carrot and cut the carrot into small cubes.
6. In a pan, heat up avocado oil and add the carrot cubes to the pan. Cook for a few minutes or until the carrots begin to soften.
7. Cut up the sweet onion into small pieces and add to the pan with the carrots. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Mince the garlic. Add additional avocado oil to the pan and place the minced garlic in the pan. Make sure the garlic is in the avocado oil so it can cook in the oil. Cook for about 30 seconds.
9. Add the lentils to the pan, tomato sauce, and water. Cook for a few minutes or until the bolognese begins to thicken
10. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh or dried basil.
11. Place the spaghetti squash on a plate and top with lentil bolognese.