I’m definitely more of a summer person, but I’ve been making all of the cozy fall foods lately. I made butternut squash soup for dinner tonight. It is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and added sugar free. See recipe below!
1 medium butternut squash
1 red bell pepper
1/2 sweet onion
2 medium carrots
2 cloves garlic
Optional toppings: green onions or chives and pumpkin seeds
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the outside of the butternut squash.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the butternut squash into cubes, removing the seeds in the process. If you do not have a sharp knife, microwave the butternut squash for a few minutes to allow it to soften.
- Slice the onion and the red bell pepper. Peel and cut the carrots.
- Place a pot on medium heat and add avocado oil.
- Cook the chopped onion in the pot for about 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and carrots to the pot and cook until they begin to soften. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chopped and peeled cloves of garlic, cook for about 30 seconds. Note: you may need to add an additional drop of avocado oil to saute the garlic.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and 5 cups of water to the pot and place on high heat. Allow the soup to boil for approximately 10 minutes.
- Turn the pot off and allow to cool slightly for about 5 minutes. Using a hand blender, carefully blend the soup until the ingredients are fully blended.
- Top with chopped green onion or chives and pumpkin seeds.